- What would happen if a US aircraft carrier was sunk in the Persian Gulf or the South China Sea? What would the results be on an international level? A national level? A local level? Who wins and who loses?
- Suppose 80% of whites vote for a republican candidate in 2016 and he or she still loses. What do they do then? How do they react?
- There’s been quite a kerfuffle about Ebola in the news recently. What is the reaction if the immigrants coming up from Central America expecting amnesty bring along with them a virulent disease that spreads, causing a pandemic?
- Conflict between states and non-state actors has been growing in recent times (I use the Westphalian concept of a state here). This trend has currently been occurring by way of conflict between state forces and ideologically motivated forces. What happens when a state actor runs up against not a band of extremists, but a private military corporation fighting for (ostensibly) money? What happens if said PMC is not fighting for money, but for something else?
- What happens when the first American soldiers are killed by enemy drones?
- A governor calls in the National Guard to put down civil unrest. The Federal Government orders him to back off, and in lieu of federal agents, neighborhood militias form in order to contain the violence. Following outlandish tales in the media, the police force is then mobilized to put down the “lawless, racist vigilantes”. How can this be ended in the optimal way?
- Economic malaise sets in as more and more people accept the idea that standards of living are on a steady decline. More and more people drop out of the system. What measures can be taken to restore confidence and jump-start economic revitalization (if possible)?
- Cyber attacks by an unknown entity have crippled large sections of public infrastructure along the eastern coast of the United States. Several classified servers have also been breached, though no one knows the full extent of the damage. Private industries fared even worse, and no one is certain as to what will happen next.
- Law Enforcement Agents in a border state have begun using violent and sometimes lethal measures to drive back would-be immigrants hoping to hop over the border. The international community is outraged and the UN is considering retaliatory measures. Russia is deliberately inflating the tensions to shield its maneuverings and even steadfast US allies have been reluctant to touch the matter. How then to proceed?
- A nuclear deal with Iran is reached, but Israel, furious at the outcome, launches airstrikes on several Iranian nuclear sites. Not only does it become clear that Saudi Arabia was complicit in this endeavor (allowing Israeli use of Saudi Arabian airspace), but Iranian troops are now mobilizing on the Iraqi border and the shores of Persian Gulf, while Hezbollah launches an aggressive assault on Israel, unleashing a devastating barrage of missiles on Haifa and Tel Aviv that the Iron Dome can do little to stop.
- Finally, what might the implications be if we humor ourselves a bit and posit this scenario: https://twitter.com/Outsideness/status/485642158196523009?
How does a reactionary society (in the US’s position, with all the baggage that entails) aim to prevent these occurrences and/or adequately respond if any of these events should pass?